Since September 2018, TrackIQ have been a valued channel partner of Hanhaa, accumulating a number of ParceLive customers, all from varying industries. This case study shall focus on one of TrackIQ’s customers, who is one of the largest wine and spirits distributors in the United States, with operations in 44 states.
Through the application of ParceLive, TrackIQ’s customer is able to monitor their wine and spirits as they travel throughout the supply chain, ensuring that all beverages reach their intended destination in the desired condition.
Optimum storage and transportation conditions differ slightly for wine and spirits, but there are a few core variables that remain the same for both.
The information below is a set of guidelines that should be followed in order for both wine and spirits to arrive at their end destination in suitable conditions.
Wine/Spirit storage conditions:
- Temperature’s higher than 70° F (21 degrees), can cause the wine to spoil, resulting in flat aromas and flavours. If the wine in transport is subject to such low temperatures that it begins to freeze, It could expand enough to push out the cork.
- Unlike white wines and champagne, spirits can and should be stored at room temperature.
- Humidity levels should ideally be between 50%-80% to prevent any damage being caused to the labels.
Orientation of bottles:
- Wine should be stored on its side in order to keep the liquid up against the cork which keeps the cork from drying out.
- Unlike wine, spirits should not be stored on their sides. Keeping your liquor down rather than standing it upright can cause the cork to mix and seep into the liquid, altering the high-alcohol content.
Impact & shock of bottles:
- Vibrations can damage the wine by speeding up the chemical reactions in the liquid. Significant vibrations could possibly disturb the sediment in older wines and keep them from settling.
With so many variables to measure and constantly monitor, ParceLive and its smart sensor technology is able to provide the user with real-time data on the storage and transportation conditions listed above.